FR EN
The 19th century brought artists to Saint-Paul
The 19th century brought artists to Saint-Paul en

Artists first started frequenting Saint-Paul at the beginning of the 1920s. The trail blazers were Paul Signac, Raoul Dufy and Chaïm Soutine. They set up their easels in this peaceful village in Provence, attracted by colours and light of incomparable richness and intensity. Their arrival was fostered by the inauguration of a tramway line between Cagnes-sur-Mer and Vence, via Saint-Paul, in 1911. This opened the village up to the outside world. It was also used to export agricultural produce to Nice, Antibes and Grasse.
The artists enjoyed the company of Paul Roux, a many facetted resident of Saint-Paul – a painter, an art collector and the owner of the Robinson (renamed the Colombe d’Or in 1932), whose walls are still adorned with their paintings even today. Many others followed in their footsteps, including Matisse and Picasso who would call in to see their “ neighbours ” in Saint-Paul – the former from Vence,

Label

partenaire partenaire

Hôtels partenaires

  • hotel Bristol Adelboden
  • hotel La Métairie

Accès

Réseau

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram

partage

Share with Twitter Share with Facebook Share by Email