FR EN

The 19th century brought artists to Saint-Paul

Artists first started frequenting Saint-Paul at the beginning of the 1920s. The trail blazers were Paul Signac, Raoul Dufy and Chaïm Soutine. They set up their easels in this peaceful village in Provence, attracted by colours and light of incomparable richness and intensity. Their arrival was fostered by the inauguration of a tramway line between Cagnes-sur-Mer and Vence, via Saint-Paul, in 1911. This opened the village up to the outside world. It was also used to export agricultural produce to Nice, Antibes and Grasse.
The artists enjoyed the company of Paul Roux, a many facetted resident of Saint-Paul – a painter, an art collector and the owner of the Robinson (renamed the Colombe d’Or in 1932), whose walls are still adorned with their paintings even today. Many others followed in their footsteps, including Matisse and Picasso who would call in to see their “ neighbours ” in Saint-Paul – the former from Vence,

Share

The Maeght Foundation

The Maeght Foundation is a story of family and friendship. Aimé & Marguerite Maeght came up with the idea and the funding in collaboration with Catalonian architect Josep Lluis Sert. Their artist friends participated in the design and in bringing the project to fruition, each taking over an area of the future Foundation. Joan Miró, Marc Chagall, Alberto Giacometti, Georges Braque, Alexander Calder and Fernand Léger all found the ideal creative setting in a museum at one with nature, where the rooms and the gardens interact in perfect harmony.
The Fondation Maeght contains one of the biggest 20th-century art collections in Europe.

Free parking, museum shop, Café F. “ Café F ” is open for lunch or snack – Opening hours according to the season – Information 04 93 32 45 96.

Share

Label

partenaire partenaire

Hôtels partenaires

  • hotel Bristol Adelboden
  • hotel La Métairie

Accès

Réseau

Follow us on facebook

partage

Share with Twitter Share with Facebook Share by Email